Bass Nathan Anthony Resika has been praised for his ďsonorousĒand"resonant" voice by critics and colleagues alike as both a classic basso cantante and an interpreter of modern works.
His favorite repertoire includes the great bass roles of both Verdi and Mozart, of which he has sung almost all.
Whether the role is a leading or supporting role, Nathan has developed a reputation for meticulous preparation, attention to detail, and thoughtful interpretation.
For example, some quotes from recent reviews include:"..deeply emotional feelings behind each and every note"..."splendidly and credibly played"..." "Resika makes it happen!".."Most surprising... finding interesting shadings in what could be(a) fairly ordinary role"..." a commanding and rich timbre"....."Resika very much made this opera his... two hours of fine music and comedy..led by Resika"..all full review quotes are on this site.
News: 2019 saw Nathan making his weill Hall (@ Carnegie Hall) debut with Mimesis ensemble as the soloist reciter in Schoenberg's challenging classic, Ode to Napoleon Buonaparte.
Nathan sang the Grand Iquisitor as well as the Friar in Connecticut Lyric Opera's full production of Verdi's Don Carlo, in May 2019, his 6th and 7th roles with the same company.
He also recently returned to Hudson Opera Theatre for the 4th time to perform Count Monterone in February 2019, and received an amazing review for this small crucial role (see reviews).
Nathan proudly and joyously Made his Carnegie hall Stern Auditorium debut on June 2nd 2018, as Bass soloist In both Beethoven and Haydn Masses for Mid America productions.
In 2017, Nathan starred as an opera singing actor on a commercial seen worldwide for Adidas All-Timers Sneakers.
Other notable career highlights include:
- Debuting the role of Banquo in Verdiís Macbeth with La Forza dellí Opera in the summer of 2016 (although his ten-year old son Fabian stole the show as Fleance).
- Being one of eight finalists from well over 100 singers in the 2016 New Jersey Verismo Opera competition.
- Returning for his fifth engagement with the New Jersey Verismo Opera to perform the role of Alvise Badoero in Ponchielliís La Gioconda in April 2016.
- Performing the role of Filippo II in Verdiís Don Carlo, fully staged with a thirty-five-piece orchestra in New York City (Vocal Productions, April 2016).
- Inhabiting the suave and demonic role of Don Giovanni in Mozartís masterpiece in five performances with Amore Opera in New York City.
- Creating several roles in modern operas, among them: Senator Hefflin in Clarence and Anita by Ben Yarmolinsky, the diabolical Sir Danvers Carew in Barry OíNealís Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and The Man in J.D. McClatchy and Francis Thorneís Mario and the Magician, which was recorded for Albany Records.
- Performing the role of Don Giovanni with Palisades Opera and the very next day performing as Leporello with Capitol Heights Lyric Opera ( 2012).
Covering the Grand Inquisitor in L'Africaine with Opera Orchestra of NY,under the Baton Of Eve Queler, where he sang solos with superstar tenor Marcello Giordani.(2012)
Nathan has performed roles with Caramoor, OperaNorth, Opera Orchestra of New York, the Center for Contemporary Opera,New York Grand Opera,Hudson Opera Theatre,Cleveland Opera Circle, Connecticut Lyric Opera, Opera New Jersey, the New Britain Symphony,Opera in the Heights, and Utah Festival Opera, among others.
He has performed Concerts recently with the New York Opera Society and Dunch Arts, as well as concerts in Nursing Homes and Schools .
Nathan has been a resident artist at Caramoor(2008),Utah Festival Opera(2006),and Opera New Jersey(2004).
He has performed in concert in Hungary, Greece, throughout the United States, and has sung the national anthem at many sporting events.
Raised in New York City by a musical and artistic family, Nathan sang, acted, and played folk and rock guitar from an early age,studied classical guitar with Julio Prol and John Williams( Cordoba , Spain), and continued his studies at both New England Conservatory and the Longy School.
Also a great lover of gospel and spiritual music, he was a featured performer at the first Sam Cooke memorial tribute concert in Atlanta in 2002, where he sang for Sam Cooke's family.
A FIDE( World Chess Federation) Master of chess,Nathan is also the 2013 United States senior Chess co champion.He enjoys teaching the fine points of the game to children in after school programs as well as private instruction for children and adults.
Nathan is available for performances , narration, and other voicework; as well as, on a limited basis, for lessons, masterclasses, and presentations for both adults and children.